Up to 50% funding is available for offshore wind-related research projects, from Narec, a renewable energy research and test centre in north-east England.
Unveiling details of its new renewable energy technology accelerator (RETA) programme, Narec announced that it will provide both investment and technology support for chosen projects, up to 50% of project value.
Companies interested in applying have until 2 November to submit bids for the first funding round. Narec expects successful projects to have a value of £250,000-750,000 (€308,000-924,000). Five areas have been identified as priorities;
- novel offshore cable installation and monitoring
- improvements to operations & maintenance
- foundation design & installation feasibility studies
- grid integration for offshore renewable energy projects
- development of novel marine renewable devices.
Successful first-round projects will be announced by January 2013.
News of Narec's RETA funding comes as the UK Technology Strategy Board is also inviting bids for support with offshore wind innovation and cost reduction.